I wanted to compile some resources on autism in education, with a focus on neurodiversity and advice from autistics. The following is a work in progress, and suggestions are encouraged!
You can also check out my Autism in Education Google Site, a companion site to my presentation, Celebrating Neurodiversity: Insights from an Autistic Educator and Self-Advocate.
Resources for Educators
- Autism EDU – Educators Resources for Tolerance, Diversity, Autism (Geek Club Books / Zoom Autism Magazine)
- Promote Emotional Regulation in Autistic Children (online course by Dr. Pooky Knightsmith)
Articles for Educators
Articles by Judy Endow, autistic social worker
- Teaching Autistic People (2016)
- Teaching One Autistic Student to Ask For Help (2016)
- Autistic Neurology and Behavior (2016)
- Autism and Changing Classroom Strategies (2015)
- Autism and Eye Contact (2014)
- Starting Third Grade (2014) (poem)
- Preventing Meltdowns: Outsmarting the Explosive Behavior of Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders (2012)
Articles by Michelle Swan, autistic writer and advocate
- Tips for Teachers: Supporting Neurodivergent Students (infographic)
- How to support an Autistic child in the classroom (infographic)
- When Behaviour is Stigmatised (2017)
- Disruptive behaviour (2017)
- Open letter to those who think autistic kids should not be allowed to disturb mainstream education settings (2017)
- Inclusion in education is a human right (2017)
- Behaviour Modification Therapy Does Work (2017)
- The illusion of choice in behaviour modification therapy (2017)
- 5 ways to meet neurodivergent children’s needs without using behaviour modification strategies (2016)
- Being present is not the same as being included: more thoughts on inclusion in the classroom (2015)
Articles by Jodi Murphy, creator of Geek Club Books / Zoom Autism Magazine
- 5 Reasons Why Every Teacher Needs More Autism Training (2017)
- 10 Inclusion Strategies for General Education Teachers (2017)
- 4 Ways to Differentiate in a Special Ed Classroom (2017)
- What Your Autistic Students Want You to Know (2016)
Articles by Meghan Ashburn, of Not an Autism Mom
- Make the School Library More Accessible to Autistic/Disabled Kids (2021)
- Autism-Positive Books for Teachers to Read During April (2021)
- Helping Nonspeaking Children Spell, Type, and Point to Communicate (2021)
- 100-ish Books on Autism and Neurodiversity (2020, but continually updated)
- Four Ways I Help My Autistic Children Communicate Without Speaking (2019)
- Autism tips for teachers – by an autistic teacher (Fergus Murray, 2019)
- 7 Things Your Students With Autism Wish You Knew About Them (Amy Joy, 2018)
- Should We Insist on Eye Contact with People who have Autism Spectrum Disorders (Rozella Stewart, M.A.)
Relevant Twitter Threads
- On Kari Dunn Buron (creator of the 5-point scale): My thread on Buron’s presentation at the Stronger Together 2020 Virtual Autism Conference, “Self-Regulation: 25 Years of Trying New Pieces of String” (An example tweet from the thread is quoted below)
“We didn’t take the neurology of behavior into account. @5pointscaler talks about forgiving herself for strategies used in the 80s.
Humbling to look back and realize how much we didn’t know. We’re still learning a lot about the brain.
Teachers need to develop their own empathy.”@Adriana_Edu
Have a suggestion?
More links and resources to come!
Do you have a suggestion to share? Use the Contact page to send them my way. Thanks!